Sunday, March 21, 2010

Twenty/twenty


Yesterday was my twentieth birthday, which is a weird statement to admit. I don't look any differently or act any differently..interestingly enough. So today I'm thinking I'm going to write down "20 things I've learned in 20 years of life"..let's see if I can accomplish it.

1. There is no point in your life when you need to stop acting like a child. Grow up, yes..but never grow old.

2. Life is short, eat dessert..and lots of it.

3. You may have to wait 20 years to fall in love - maybe it'll happen for me this year. Let's cross our fingers!

4. No one will ever love you more than your family. Whether that's a mom and a dad and a couple of siblings, or a family you create - like your best friends or dog. They accept you at your worst and your best..which is always a blessing.

5. Always carve out time to be by yourself. I know some people hateee being by themselves, but everyone could use "alone time". Do it, you'll feel better.

6. Stick to your guns. Like what you like, and dislike what you like - just make sure you're the one that has the affect to change your mind on things.

7. Take one day at a time - my mom always says that to me. Keep your head up and you'll always get through things..it may take a while, but God never leads you into something without a way out.

8. There always is time to sing and dance in the car. I love to watch people completely let loose and jam in the car, it's hilarious and wonderful at the same time.

9. Don't compromise for someone you like. Whether is values, your family or having sex - if you don't want to, don't. If they can't deal with that, move on.

10. Slobbery kisses are the best - specially if they come from a two year old.

11. Asking a lot of questions is better than getting something wrong. Always.

12. Don't go somewhere half naked because you look "cute" and freeze. They do make really cute coats, scarves and hats now - make good use of them and don't look like an idiot, please.

13. Know at least a little bit of whats going on in the world everyday. Whether it's pop culture or world culture - it helps to know what's up and helps you have conversation starters, if you ever need them.

14. Eat, eat, eat. Don't not eat to fit into a size 2..it's unhealthy and could lead to more problems in later life.

15. You have to be a little bit of a lover and a fighter in life..the trick is, knowing which one to be day-to-day.

16. Check the weather before you start your day. It's kind of embarrassing when you go outside in flip flops and it's 30 degrees. Just because it's sunny outside, doesn't mean it's warm.

17. Do take advantage of and do things you've never done before, even if you're scared about it. It'll pay off, whether it's a good or bad payoff - you'll figure out what you're capable of.

18. Yes, there is a time to take a break and sleep. I don't believe in that "I'll sleep when I'm dead" crap - you have to rest during the day. You have to.

19. It's okay to believe that high school isn't the best years of your life - in fact, for most people it's the worst. Life goes on, I promise.

20. There's a quote from Harry Potter (yes, laugh..ha, I don't care) that I love that says "what's coming will come and we'll meet it when it does"..which roughly means, I think, that you've got to keep going. You're going to get things thrown at you that hurt and are bad, but you can't plan for that to happen. You've got to let it, deal with it, and move on.

And that, ladies and gentleman, is my twenty things. Ta-dahhh.

1 comment:

  1. Cait! I LOVE this post. You have some great words of wisdom. (made me laugh too) So glad we could celebrate your b-day with you. We love you so much!
    (sending lots of slobbery kisses your way :)

    ReplyDelete